[olug] OT: Local PC Forensics Experts

Aric aric at omahax.com
Fri May 9 01:26:04 CDT 2014

I should be more inviting and helpful.  I am not an expert at anything.  In theory you could have been hacked in the past and not really have any practical or easily found evidence. One could provide reasonable doubt towards the integrity of a Windows XP system simply because it has a proven track record of getting compromised often.   You can check the log files but there isn't much there by default.  Check the integrity of your system files (sfc) and drivers (sigverig).  If you think a system was compromised in a specific way look for those specific things.  I'll use Sysinternals' Autoruns to check to see if anything is starting that shouldn't be.  If you think it is still compromised sniff all the packets and look for anomalies.  I'll use Snort with Snort and Emerging Threats signatures.