[olug] Are you using a Foscam?

Tony Gies tony.gies at gruppe86.net
Thu May 8 19:07:56 CDT 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Tom Fritz <tfritz at me.com> wrote:
> I can’t say I’m surprised seeing this. Most of my neighbors have little or no security on their wireless networks. The ones that have passwords are easy to guess.

I don't think that was the problem. These devices often configure
themselves for remote access on the Internet by default, using
UPnP/NAT-PMP to punch their own hole in the router as necessary.
Sometimes, having done this, they even register their remote access
URI with some sort of central registry server operated by the vendor
so that you can e.g. link a smartphone app to the device by typing in
some code printed on the device. It's all marketed as a feature.

>From there, it's often only a matter of time before Google stumbles
across it and it gets indexed:
https://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3A%22ViewerFrame%3FMode%3D%22+intitle%3A%22Network+Camera%22+-supplier