[olug] XBMC links

Aric Aasgaard aric at omahax.com
Thu May 8 08:50:14 CDT 2014

Today my lady got a new laptop at work and they told her she could keep her
old one (Dell Latitude D520 T5500 with 1 GB of RAM).  ...I put Ubuntu 14.04
and XBMC on it tonight. .....I bet companies are dumping Core 2 XP boxes
like diapers.   .....anyway.

I am really impressed at how fast and smooth it runs on this old hardware.
I could stream a 1080p .mkv over WiFi from a SMB share like butter at least
on the 1024x768 laptop screen.  I have a docking station and a DVI to HDMI
cable I can try tomorrow to test it at 1080p.

The biggest difficulty for me and HTPCs has always been getting the audio to
work nicely.  Audio is often what makes video stutter.  I was most impressed
by how perspicuous the audio set up is.  I played a 6.1 DTS stream to a
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB pass though optical to a
Logitech Z-680.  All I had to do was change a couple settings in System >
Settings > System Audio.        ......and now I can see noises or um the
opposite.
http://omahax.com/img/phone/20140508_021453.jpg

I am very happy THANKS!