[olug] OT: Learning Colemak

Leonardo leo at kde.org.ar
Sat May 3 18:49:10 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 2:37 pm, unfy wrote:
> On 5/1/2014 8:57 AM, Tim Larson wrote:
>>
>> How difficult is it to switch the OS from one mapping to the other?
>
> Linux can be.... grrr.  Some distro's remove keyboard layout stuff from
> the graphical screen.  It also might require root privs ... which is
> just how linux treats  key mapping in general.  But - fully supported.

If the GUI doesn't provide an option, you can try:
% setxkbmap us colemak

It doesn't require any root privileges and if you do that form X then you get
Colemak on your keyboard (but only within X, not in tty). To go back to
QWERTY:

% setxkbmap us

Also, about your surprise of finding another Colemak typist locally, my
brother-in-law is also a Colemak typist. Colemak was kind of the trigger of
why I'm living in Omaha now, since I met him in #colemak in Freenode when I
started using this keyboard layout and I ended up marrying his sister 2
months ago =]