[olug] Centurylink "Gigabit" my ass....

Aric Aasgaard aric at omahax.com
Fri Jun 20 23:37:04 CDT 2014

As far as Cox goes (because it is the only dece think I can get here)
......The Cox ultimate $99 for 150x20 home user version at home is fine for me.  I use dynamic DNS instead of a static ip.  The IP changes very very rarely.  I have 6 different Cox business accounts at work and side jobs.  From my experience the difference between Cox business and home internet in Omaha is only in getting a static IP/CIDR block.

The pfSense quality RRD graphs between home and business are not significantly different.  IMO it makes more sense to get the cheaper higher speed home account and spend a fraction of the difference on a Verizon wireless 4G hotspot for redundancy purposes.  Like I have said in the past, I get the over quota Cox warning emails but I have never been throttled.  Have any of you actually ever been throttled for going over the quota on their Ultimate tier?  I have had connection issues that a paranoid person might think was the result of getting their hose kinked for going over quota.  A 192.168.100.1 check confirmed all channels were connected and OK, but modem reboot still solved the issue.