[olug] Setting window transparency with focus

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Jan 8 15:21:30 UTC 2014

Howdy all,

At work, we recently switched from Ubuntu 10.04 running gnome 2 on our
desktop machines to Debian 7 running xfce.  In the old setup, I'd been
running compiz, and had it configured with focus-follows-mouse so that
if a any windows were in front of the actively focus window, those
unfocused windows would go transparent so I could see the focused window
through them.  They would not be transparent unless they were blocking
the in-focus window.

I'd grown rather attached to that feature, but I can't find any way to
replicate it under xfce at work or even under Ubuntu 13.10's KDE at
home.  Both allow me to make out-of-focus windows transparent all the
time, but not only when occluding the in-focus window.

I've been unable to find any solutions via google.  Do any of you have
any ideas on how to make this happen?  Are there aftermarket compositors
that provide this functionality and can be used in xfce or KDE?

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>