[olug] FreeNAS or Linux ZFS SAN with NVMe PCIe3 drives

Aric aric at omahax.com
Wed Dec 31 21:38:37 CST 2014

I am wanting a SAN for running VM servers with databases.  I was thinking
a modern dual Xeon rack server with gobbs of RAM and NVMe PCIe3 drives and
10GbE running ZFS would work well. I was looking at the prices of Intel
Fultondale 10 DC P3700 series and Fusion-io cards and they seem very
reasonably priced when compared to an EqualLogic, EMC, HP, NetApp, etc SAN
solution.

Have any of you done this? .....any thoughts, suggestions or advice?

.....happy new year's eve!