[olug] Network appliance for a small business

Jay Bendon jaybocc2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:24:23 CST 2014

OpenWRT seems to be common for providing wifi AP's.

If you spend some time next time at a hotel hacking on their Network you
will probably find a lot of it is powered by OpenWRT.

I personally love OpenWRT and it is very stable and capable for this type
of setup and it doesn't just have to run on consumer networking gear
(though it obviously can!) it does support comercial networking gear.

Tuning radio isn't as simple or thorough as dd-wrt/tomato but if you really
want to, everything can be done via configuration file on (real) linux in a
sane and easy to understand way.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/about/start
hardware support:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
snapshot list ( it runs on x86 so you can BYOWireless Card )
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/

Take a chance and build it yourself!
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/faq/development

--Jay