[olug] NetworkSolutions and Dynamic DNS

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Apr 22 19:35:52 UTC 2014

On 04/22/2014 01:02 PM, Dan Linder wrote:
> My domain (Linder.org) is hosted at Network Solutions and I've used the
> free Dyn.com dynamic DNS to keep my home systems available.  Unfortunatly
> on May 7th this is going away.
>
> Two questions:
> 1: Does anyone know how to configure NetworkSolutions to accept a dynamic
> DNS update from my home system?  Is there a script?  I couldn't even find
> if this was an extra-cost option...
>
> 2: If that's not possible, what registrar can people recommend that is
> cheaper than NetworkSolutions (probably easy), AND support Dynamic DNS
> updates?

I dropped NetSol after about 18 years and moved Jedi.com over to
NameCheap (my affiliate link:  http://www.namecheap.com/?aff=34980).
I've been using them for a few years now for several domains that I
own.  They're very user friendly and a lot cheaper than NetSol. They did
suffer a DDoS attack on their name servers a few months ago that took
down their DNS servers for a few hours, but that's the only problem I've
had with them.

According to their web site, they appear to handle dynamic DNS, although
I admit to not reading through the FAQ in detail:
https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/category.aspx/11/dynamic-dns

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>