[olug] StartCOM StartSSL.com and bundling certificates in general

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 17:45:12 UTC 2014

I was already using SSLlabs.com and other testing tools against
https://lists.olug.org
last weekend because my Motorola DroidX2 did not recognize the CA even
though one of  the StartCOM StartSSL certs came  pre-installed.   The OLUG
site probably needs to supply a bundle of intermediates for those anyway.
Jon/Brian, the cert expires soon anyway so let me know and i could test a
new bundle.  We were having trouble getting some internal sites to
recognize bundles as opposed to just one cert.  Good way for all of us to
review.

I tested StartSSL.com at SSLLabs.com because i knew Eddy Nigg based his
StartCom OS off of RedHat source and so most likely used OpenSSL.
Probably based off RHEL 4, maybe 3 the last time i looked, so i doubt he
ever used GnuTLS.    HeartBleed safe and now some of his basic certs are
free.  The only place that i aware of that does not have StartCOM
preinstalled is Polycom phone firmware.