[olug] Disappointment and a question ...

unfy olug at unfy.org
Wed Apr 9 22:09:49 UTC 2014

For s&g I loaded up the 13.10 installer again.

This time I had left a thumb drive plugged in.

The partition editor sees the thumb drive partitions, and the MBR
installation options yield both the thumb drive and an 80gb sata drive
that i've been using as install fodder.

Backing out of the installation process and running the disc live
instead of installing... the sata drive's mountpoint is rather weird.
It sees it, I can access the files, but the mount is a bunch of gobbledy
gook.  Possibly a UUID or something ?

Since my last attempt at it, I've reformatted the 80gb drive via windows
xp media center.  Soooooo what's going on I'm not particularly sure.
For some reason the ubuntu installer doesn't wanna edit it, yet other
linuxes have no troubles doing so (windows doesn't mind either).

I will do some dd if=/dev/zero of=80gbdrive later to see if that makes
the ubuntu installer happier.

----------

While I had on board hdmi & hdmi audio working at one point, I think I'm
done messing around with this system.  As a last saving grace, I'll
eventually throw a video card into it to see how it handles.  My primary
system is long over due for an updated video card... which will be an r7
265 ($150-$160) and power supply ($50-$60).  It's existing card will
then migrate to this system (an hd5670).  Dunno if i'll bother with a
processor upgrade or not.  A q6600 would double or triple my performance
for $40 heh.

If I continue to mess with linux on the system or not, I dunno.

-Will

PS:

Just for the flame war.  I've had very little luck with anything nvidia
over the last 6-10 years.... so I tend to avoid it.  This nforce 630i
system was passable once I got up and running.  Wish I could remember
what I did to make it happy :(.  Sooooo.. no more nvidia stuff for me.
The old nforce2 board i had long ago was okay.  Shrug.

Intel has also pissed me off a bit due to the NM10 chipset in netbooks
(atom 2600/2800 based netbooks).  It's a powervr graphics core (gma
3600) that has REALLY SHITTY drivers (under linux & windows)... and
intel isn't doing anything about it.  So this has me frowning a bit at
intel as far as graphics is concerned (granted, the hd2k or whatever
that's with the sandybridge i7 2600 is alright. not stellar, but stable
and decent enough at least). Just for har har har - the netbook's hdmi
output has working audio without touching a configuration setting
anywhere :D.

On 4/8/2014 9:47 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
> I know what you mean about the motherboard.  I've been using Intel NUCs for
> my xbmc frontends. (I3 + 2 HDMI)  Spousal approval is high because you
> don't really see them, about 2 roku boxes high, BUT, you are in the 260+
> 32GBmSata(70), +ram($40) putting you around 400.  but I've got a NAS for
> local storage and Myth for recording broadcast/cable, so in the long run,
> it is cheaper than TiVo.  My home servers are always the cast offs since no
> one can see them.
>
> Well, I'm out of ideas to solve your current install dilemma, anyone else
> have a suggestion?
>
> Best,
> Jeff
>

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM, unfy <olug at unfy.org> wrote:
>
>> On 4/7/2014 10:57 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
>>
>>> as for xfce -- if you already have ubuntu installed, it just
>>>    apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>> then logout, pick xfce and log in
>>>
>>> To get it straight out you can just xubuntu
>>>
>> Getting XFCE was just a matter of more-than-ratpoison window manager
>> without breaking the 700mb limit for burning to a CD with that particular
>> distro.  Wasn't really an aesthetics choice.  Granted, I was okay with old
>> XFCE looking kinda like OS/2 warp years ago :).
>>

>>   two quick questions, are you installing from a cd/dvd or thumbdrive?
>>> I've
>>> had issues with a good iso download and a bad burn doing weird things
>>> during install.  I pretty much use thumbdrives now.  Also, my remark about
>>> giving the live images a go before install is often handy in detecting if
>>> the hardware is supported.   And the other question, is the hardware PAE
>>> or
>>> non-PAE