[olug] Disappointment and a question ...

unfy olug at unfy.org
Tue Apr 8 02:11:56 UTC 2014

On 4/6/2014 11:07 PM, Jay Bendon wrote:
> honestly if going for obscure or cutting edge hardware setups you really
> need to stick to ubuntu or fedora with the biggest userbase and fastest
> release cycle in order to have good support.

An nForce 630i is NOT obscure.

The system my coworker was working on was from Gateway IIRC.  Also not
obscure.

> and maybe try a HTPC distro. which is usually backed by mint or ubuntu.

Downloaded mythbuntu again.  We'll see.

> Dump unity and install cinnamon or kde or xfce, whatever.  its linux you
> have the freedom.

And this is assuming that someone knows enough to go about doing so.
While I, having 19 years of linux/unix experience are capable of doing
such a thing without too much effort... the average joe ?

-----------------------------------

So last night I attempted to install ubuntu on the nforce 630i.  I get
to the partition editor and it locks up.  Waited 30min, nothing.  This
was under BOTH 13.10 and 12.04.4 LTS.  (shakes head).  Dropped to
console, fdisk could see and partition /dev/sda, but that didn't help.
Went through about 6-8 reboots trying to get ubuntu to install to no luck.

Grabbed Salix 14.0 or 14.1 XFCE.  It's a slackware based distro.
Installed just fine.  HDMI audio ? Still not working but whatever. Salix
has some issues such as not including the original kernel source and not
supporting the nvidia closed source drivers out of the box (thus
requiring black magic to install such things).  It's browser (midori)
seems kinda flakey about not loading pages all the way or something.
Doubt I'll give salix a review but... am just trying to get hdmi audio
to cooperate heh.

I can prolly try fedora or something.

-Will