[olug] OT: Ting

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Apr 5 15:22:01 UTC 2014

<old man time>
When I worked at the IPRevolution.net (Now CoSentry?) datacenter in
SouthRoads Mall quite a few of us had Sprint pre-dating our location there.
 In the 3+ years there, Sprint was the only carrier that was able to get a
signal through the thick walls and ceiling/floor in that area.  We always
joked that it was a security feature, but I think it had more to do with
the cell tower located in the back of the parking lot - probably just
through sheer force of power the signal made it through.  (Though I'm
pretty certain my battery was draining more quickly having to send it's
signal back through the concrete...)
</old man time>

To Kevins point, at that time it was only 3G coverage so if the newer
phones have optimized their radios for 4G and/or dropped the 3G completely
that may account for the loss of signal.

Dan