[olug] OT: Republic Wireless

Aaron Grothe ajgrothe at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 04:06:24 UTC 2013

Hey Joe,

I'm using Republic Wireless right now.

The Pros

Cheap $25.00 after fee/month
Customer Service has been pretty good - gone above and beyond to transfer number
Decent coverage for the Defy XT
Sprint for 3g service - pretty good coverage in Omaha Metro area

The Cons

Can't unlock/flash phone since it designed to go wifi all the time (would consider doing google voice and their base service)
Phone is new but limited - Motorola Defy XT
3G-only
Single Core
Gingerbread Android 2.3 (probably forever)
3.5" screen
Next to no room for apps - can't move google's apps to SD card without unlocked phone
And this is their new high end phone
Drops calls a lot when going from wifi to 3g and vice versa

Regards,

Aaron
0-0-0
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying