[olug] attn Wireless ISPs WTB Shielded and Grounded Cat5e cable

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 01:34:23 UTC 2013

There are many ubnt forum posts about problems with older cable.  Number of
users that had problems after running wire up a very tall tower .... what a
bummer.

Speaking of plastic failures, NIBCO PEX tubing makes for great low voltage
conduit and if you find some dated 2007 or before, you should get it
practically for free because it was known to burst even when out of
sunlight and water temp well within range.  Not so great for PEX heating
and cooling, but great for _pushing_ wire.

I invested heavily in an upgradeable infrastructure for the inside of the
house but wire outside of the house needs to be invisible.   It will be up
under eves out of the sun for the most part, so should not get much UV
damage.  Even if did, it should not be too hard to replace.

I purchased 1000ft of Shireen foil wrapped with drain wire.  A company out
of St Louis got it here quick at ground rates.