[olug] boot from USB stick probs

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 04:34:46 UTC 2013

Kelly, I already verified the image boots on a laptop.

Sam, I tried *every* boot option this time, and none of them worked.  Worse
yet I have a DVD w/the same image installed, and it won't boot either.
 When I select the CDROM boot selection, I do see the DVD drive light up,
and it says something like BOOT CD/DVD twice.  But then it just silently
fails and boots the Linux I have installed on the hard drive.

The computer is from 2010 (I built from parts), and I seem to remember
having this problem back in 2010 too.  Booting a CD image works, so I'm
pretty sure that's what I did back then.  Unfortunately, the distro images
I want to try (Ubuntu or Linux Mint) all are DVD exclusively now.

It's baffling.  For what it's worth I have my DVD drive as the main devices
and the CD drive as the slave.  The DVD device is pretty old (probably from
'05), so I may try popping in another, slightly never DVD drive.

*ugh*