[olug] Centos

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed May 22 16:18:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Sheldon, Roger W
<Roger.Sheldon at firstdata.com> wrote:
> Thx for info, we will eventually be running Oracle & probably DB2 and tons of various applications on them.

Pay close attention to support requirements from vendors like Oracle.
Not only do they require vendor support for the full stack, but they
typically only support specific Linux distributions, too.  Last I
checked, they don't support CentOS.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't use it; I just wouldn't use it in
critical production.

At a previous company, we ran a couple of large production Oracle
databases on RHEL, but we ran most of our Dev/Test/QA infrastructure
on identically configured CentOS.  We were fortunate enough to have
very strong in-house experience with Linux and Oracle, so we could
generally manage on our own for the Dev/Test/QA stuff.

--
Christopher