[olug] Centos

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed May 22 15:11:17 UTC 2013

> Company I work for is currently using SLES but looks like new builds will be Centos for non-critical. Looking at their website support/ticketing perspective I don't get a warm fuzzy.  I believe it's RH w/out the $$ cost or support. I think Openlogic is the 3rd party vendor support we are going with. Would appreciate input from anyone using Centos good bad or indifferent.

CentOS is basically a free knock-off of RHEL.  When I ran all the Linux
servers at the hospital (I left there 5 years ago), we ran RHEL for the
production servers and CentOS for the testing/development servers.  I
still run CentOS on my home firewall.  It's rock solid reliable, but
as a result, the packages do lag quite a ways behind the current
development branches.

There were complaints a few years ago about CentOS lagging uncomfortably
far behind RHEL's releases, which isn't fun if you're using it for a
testing environment.  At the time, people were talking about Scientific
Linux moving into the "prefered RHEL clone" position.  I haven't kept
up to date with that situation, so I don't know if it's still the case.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com