[olug] HDMI card suggestion (with audio)

unfy olug at unfy.org
Thu Jun 13 02:11:45 UTC 2013

It's a cheap card, that's good :). Only bad thing I'd say would be the
fan.  Larger slower moving higher quality less noisy fans....  the extra
$10 might be worth it (or find a passively cooled card).  Actually,
looking through NE's list of sapphire cards, they seem to have kinda
moved away from the design I picked up two years ago and liked :( ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102992

The above is closer, but the design I have doesn't have the second back
plane bracket or air chute... which prolly adds to noise :(. No, I'm not
suggesting the above card.

If you're willing to fork another $20 into it ($79 total)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161408

Might be a solid option.  Sapphire makes a similar card for about the
same price as well...

Anyhoo....

A quick bit of searching seems to suggest that your card should work
just fine.... with either the open source driver or the ATI driver.  If
things don't cooperate, it'd prolly just mean looking at ALSA config
files so that it pipes audio over the HDMI source by default instead of
other options.

And these days, I don't see how any semi-recent chip could skip
supporting HDMI audio.  They might be out there, but it's hard to
imagine :).  I guess stay away from $30 cards and you'll prolly do
alright heh.

For my onboard / chipset based HDMI audio stuff, I had to add the chip
id to ALSA's source's so that it'd enable HDMI audio AFAIK. While easy
enough to do... the rage inducing state of trying to build stuff on
linux over the past 10 years made it more annoying than it should have
been heh.  Let alone having to do it every few months when things
decided to upgrade.

As an aside - an ancient ATI 9550 had no problems with dvi<>hdmi
resolution stuffs.  The older HDMI nvidia based motherboard I have
(socket 775 with PCI slots heh)... it does NOT like getting the correct
720p resolution (linux or windows) to the same TV the ancient ATI card
had no problems with. I'm sure more modern nvidia stuff doesn't have the
problems, but it has left a rather sour taste in my mouth...

-unfy