[olug] Gigabit Internet

Tom Fritz tfritz at me.com
Mon Jul 15 21:03:39 UTC 2013

On Jul 15, 2013, at 02:38 PM, Kenny Kant <akennykant at gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone know of someone who actually had this installed? Is it still too early?

I called Centurylink a month ago because our neighborhood was clearly in their early roll out area. I was then told that it was not an option yet with no eta..

Perhaps my expectations are out of whack here but I'm wondering if this isn't all PR BS ;).

I have looking into this and had a CL rep come by my house. The fastest speed they support is 100 down 50 up. They then offer a "speed boost" that will get you to the 300+ down and 100+ up. This is $30.00 extra a month. The top tier unbundled is around $100.00 a month. If you bundle this with Prism TV you can get it for $128.00 per month plus tax for internet and cable TV. They give the speed boost until the end of August then it is $30.00 more. The Prism TV offered is the Prism complete which is the middle tier. It comes with up to 3 TV's and the Whole home DVR service for one year. So it is a bit deceiving for them to say it is gigabit access I think. They also told me there is no download cap but that could be incorrect. I'm having the service installed this thursday so we shall see.

Tom