[olug] network devices spontaneously swapping in Fedora and probably a few other distros

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jul 12 14:43:49 UTC 2013

On 07/12/2013 09:34 AM, Lou Duchez wrote:
> And by the way, this is also an issue with hard drives -- just having
> a USB drive plugged in at boot time could be enough for your system to
> misdiscover your drives.  This was discussed a long time ago right
> here on OLUG (the very issue that caused me to discover OLUG in
> fact).  To nail down your drive AND its partitions, do something like
> this:
>
> KERNEL=="sd[a-z]",      SUBSYSTEM=="block",
> ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="3600508e000000000ebf986dc63d2910f", SYMLINK+="bootdrive"
> KERNEL=="sd[a-z][1-9]", SUBSYSTEM=="block",
> ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="3600508e000000000ebf986dc63d2910f",
> SYMLINK+="bootdrive%n"
>
> And to figure out what the ID_SERIAL is, run this:
>
> udevadm info --query=env --name=sda | grep ID_SERIAL=

BTDT.  I have to updated my mrtg.cfg file after every boot because the
drive letters and their order in SNMP frequently change on me.  Thanks
for your instructions.  I'll have to check that out when I have time.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>