[olug] August Talk

Aaron Grothe ajgrothe at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 05:15:18 UTC 2013

The 5 things everybody should Root

1. Wii - still a fun little system - and really easy to hack nowadays - very nice 2600 emulator
2. Router - ddwrt/openwrt/tomato all good
3. Their phone/tablet(s)
4. Their Mom and Dad's router :-)
5. Their camera - CHDK is awesome

Rootfest is a cool idea.

Regards,

Aaron
0-0-0
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:

> RootFest!
>
> Bring your phone and we help each other root.  There oughta be LiveCDs for
> this purpose.
>
> InstallFests are not necessary anymore, but rootfests....
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > After reading about how Motorola has been piping most all authentication
> > sites through their own servers sometimes even without encryption, one is
> > much safer to run a rooted phone than stock.  Youtube, Picasa, and
> Facebook
> > credentials are sent without unencrypted.  We are more secure rooted.
> >
> > http://www.beneaththewaves.net/Projects/Motorola_Is_Listening.html
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Aaron Grothe <ajgrothe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey Guys,
> >>
> >> I'm going to be presenting in August, so what do we want to talk about?
> >>  I'm thinking about BTRF - BeTter File System, FUSE - Filesystem in USEr
> >> space, why Debian is the one true way and why the streets will run red
> with
> >> the blood of the unbelievers, System tap and why it can help you profile
> >> your system in new and exciting ways, grabbing control back of your
> android
> >> phone with OpenPdroid, LBEfirewall and Cynaogenmod, building your own
> >> distro or grab-bag.
> >>
> >> If there is something else I've talked about in the past that might
> >> interest you let me know.
> >>
> >> I'm kind of leaning towards either BTRFs or getting control back of your
> >> phone.  There is supposed to be a great article about getting control
> back
> >> of your phone in the summer 2013 - 2600 magazine, written by myself.
> >>  Unless I get bumped.
> >>
> >> Let me know,
> >>
> >> Aaron
> >> 0-0-0
> >> "The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying

*Justin Reiners*
Hotlines Technical Solutions Engineer.
Phone: 800.807.2967
www.PartsHotlines.com