[olug] SSD & linux

Jason N dashrender at cox.net
Mon Feb 25 21:28:02 UTC 2013

Depending on the drive, you can write the entire drive dozens of times a day for something like 3 years and you should be fine.  As someone else mentioned, a lot of drive have leveling algorithms, so assuming you're not writing the entire drive, you will have even better life expectancy.

---- "Sheldon wrote:
MY main reason is to prolong SSD life. Well I guess if you don't mind you can use your SSD and write everything to it like spinning platter. However from my readings SSD's have a  limited shelf life. But maybe I am amiss here as this is my first SSD I have purchased. The companies charge a premium for SSD's so I want to protect my investment. The second being performance. Not a true measurement for anything really but I do have a seven second boot time :).

Roger Sheldon
Storage Engineer
wk 402.777.7901
cell 402.889.2585