[olug] SSD & linux

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:10:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
>> Also set swappiness=5 since I got 32G ram and mounted /tmp and /var/logs into RAM so they get deleted on every reboot or shutdown.
>
> The sysadmin in me shrieks in terror at the thought of /var/logs getting
> wiped at ever reboot.

i like those details, CentOS 6 can not use the 'discard' trim option
because it is only at 2.6.32, but 'discard' requires 2.6.35.  Then
again, i should check the --changelog to see if it was backported.

rsyslog is already comes preinstalled in most distributions so logging
does not have to wear out your ssd.
Alternatively, is their room to add a spinning platters hdd for logging.