[olug] OY: Computers For Africa

Tim Larson larson at towncommons.com
Mon Dec 23 21:25:16 UTC 2013

On 12/21/2013 8:05 PM, Blas G Hilario wrote:
> What is the best flavor of Linux to use for an old machine?

Depends how much configuration you want to do. Tony's suggestion of one
with a lightweight default GUI is good, but you can do that yourself
with any distro you want, or replace it with something even smaller.
Also look at what services are started automatically, and think which of
those you really need, and turn off those you don't.

I like NetBSD for old machines, because the default installation doesn't
include X and starts almost no daemons. That leaves it up to me to set
up just what I want. I'm sure there are Linux distros with similar
philosophies.

Tim