[olug] Streamlined lightbulb automation

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 22:06:20 UTC 2013

According to tcpi.com, Norwegian "GreenWave" is the underlying soon to
be opensourced technology.   But the HomeDepot package indicates
indicates 6LoWPAN which is the IPv6 Low Power Wireless Personal Area
Network.  It has actually happened ... every lightbulb can have its
own ip address!   $49.88 for two quality LED connected bulbs and the
internet gateway is not a bad deal.  Have not done any research on it,
yet.  Have not seen anything about a subscription model for internet
control like the LiftMaster garage door.

Wish they sold the wireless part outside of the bulb because i need to
buy a bunch of low voltage spotlights.  Currently, the wireless
receiver is too big to fit in smaller low voltage bulbs such as an
MR16 and besides it is 120Volt only at the moment.  Considering
hacking together a normal 120V A19 type screw in bulb connector to
MR16 adapter with the innards of one of these bulbs.

$49.88 HomeDepot special:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TCP-Connected-by-TCP-Wireless-Smart-Lighting-Starter-Kit-60W-A19-LED-Gateway-LCG2LD11/204474334

MR16 low voltage socket adapter: http://amzn.com/B00CFC99TE