[olug] Programmable robot suggestions for kids (12yo and 7yo)

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Dec 2 00:25:33 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> My nerd son (now 13) has a Mindstorm NXT 2.0.  We enjoyed it, and even had
> a programming team for it.  The NXT 3 just came out, so I would have
> thought that the 2.0 would be cheaper now on the used market.  The GUI
> programming environment is reasonably intuitive (except for looping
> constructs).  I think he was 9 or 10 when he got it.  If your girls like
> Mech-E stuff in addition to CS, and if they enjoy building, then that may
> be a good option.

They definitely like LEGOs, and my set(s) that I had as a kid are used
quite frequently, too.  I'll continue to watch for the NXT2/EV3 sets, but
those are just outside the price point we were shooting for. :(  (Who
knows, maybe that will change in the next couple weeks...)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"