[olug] Testing contents of resolv.conf

Dave Thacker dthacker at bluestrain.net
Thu Aug 22 21:43:09 UTC 2013

Scenario:

The corporate mothership hath decreed that a new IP address be added to
/etc/resolv.conf on all linux devices, including some IVR appliances in my
realm.  (CentOS  and Red Hat)  The new address points to a snazzy new DNS
appliance.

The Name Service Caching Daemon (nscd) is not in use, these boxes do not run
any SMTP.  The primary application has the addresses it needs in /etc/hosts.
My google-fu has failed me on finding a suitable way to see if this second ip
address would be used in a DNS lookup.   Anybody got a command line I could
run and pull a return from?

Dave