No subject

Mon Aug 12 20:06:32 UTC 2013

potentially
     up to 500,000 people.

If this interests you, I'd like to ask everyone to register your
support for this.  I think having a true competitor to the TeleCom and
Cable companies would be a good thing.  Maybe we'd get our Internet
access up to what other parts of the world already have.

Some of their goals intrigue me, especially this one:
     We'll operate an "open access" network, giving users the choice of multiple
     service providers. And consistent with our past advocacy, we'll manage our
     network in an open, non-discriminatory, and transparent way.

To me that implies that you won't get shut down for sharing your WiFi
with friends and neighbors, or hosting a web/mail server in your home.
 Imagine if the radio companies of the 20's had clamped down on
homebrew experimentation?  Imagine what a smart high-school kid with a
bit of electrical and programming prowess could do if he wanted to
setup a wireless network with his friend a few blocks away.  Today his
parents would be afraid he'd get them black-listed from their ISP.
With a truly open access network, not only could he experiment like
this, but he might just invent something useful.

And with Gigabit speeds, we'd finally start to realize true InternetTV
and services such as NetFlix could offer very high-quality on-demand
shows.  It would also open up the TeleCo promise (made 50+ years ago)
of a true VideoPhone technology.  No more pixelated and jerky video
when the neighbors kid starts viewing a video from YouTube.

A side-effect I'm hoping to see out of this is that Google will apply
the same level of thought into managing their network and publish some
true, real-world numbers and how they cope with consumers using these
speeds.  If they could work out a non-Carnivore way of traffic shaping
without the knee-jerk "rate-limit BitTorrent and block e-mail", then
the rest of the TeleCo providers would loose their rate-limiting
defense.

Just my two cents.  Anyone else?

DanL

--