No subject

Mon Aug 12 20:06:32 UTC 2013

resume's for up to... 3 years... I think.  Also, I believe they have
to keep all emails that go through their servers for a given amount of
time (lest they be inadvertantly destroying "evidence").  I'm not too
sure if this broadened to include intra-company chat stuff (corporate
icq, etc).

ISP's being required to datamine connections is... a different and
interesting bit.  From what I understand, if you posted anything
questionable to usenet via your ISP, you could easily be tracked down.
 There is a possibility that email headers plus 'simple connection'
logs from the ISP would also be able to pin you down to an email
originator.  ISP logging of all out/in bound connections would be
rather insane, for sure.  From both technical and privacy points of
view.

In reguards to the commercialization and 'big brother' aspects of the
internet... I recall using WinCIM and DOSCIM :).  It's kind of nice to
have a plethora of backers to my searchings rather than just whoever
did payola to Compuserve.  While Google's results have gotten slightly
less useful over the last 3 years, it's still relatively easy to find
whatever information you need within the first 100 results.  If you're
concerned about 'big brother', you should be less dubious in your
online activities; and if you really want, EFF offers a free anomnity
proxy.  There's also the option of freenet.

Anyhoo, getting back more on topic... having universities do something
to stem illegal activities occuring within their networks is a good
thing.  At work, if you do something bad, your business faces lawsuits
as well as yourself.  Universities should have similar pressures.
Requiring an alternate source for media is ... retarded and way out of
bounds.

-Will