[olug] Laptop Recommendations

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Sun Sep 30 16:27:52 UTC 2012

Ok, since I started this thread, I emailing to let people know what I did
and how it worked out.
For a laptop, I went with a lenovo t530, i5 with a stock 4GB and 320GB
spindle and a 1600x900 monitor, centrino utlimate n wireless.  I after
marketed the ram to 16 and put a m4 256GB in it.   Installed u12.04 +
xubuntu-desktop.  I prefer nautilus and some of the other gnome things,
just not unity or the gnome desktop, so I'm running xfce 4.6.   Everything
installed like butter and runs like a bad mama-jama.   Quite content with
the purchase and would recommend.  It is heftier than an ultrabook - but
the weight/price differential is something I am ok with.  I like the
solidness of it.   Running the intel 4000 video, supports 2 monitors,
laptop and external.  Configuration via arandr.

battery is a 4 cell, with a 4.5 hour run time using some power savings.
 powertop says I'm burning 12.9 to 13.4 watts.

For the router, I went with an ASUS RT-AC66U.   Definitely puts out some
power.  Have had it in place for over a week and all my equipment is quite
happy.  I have it configured as a wap and don't use the router
functionality. (I run monowall on a sbc at the perimeter.)   I am using
both bands 2.4/5 And have been connecting to it @ 250+Mbps on the 5band.  G
devices in the house are seeing solid 54Mbps and the older B devices have
not had any problems.  Before, occasionally there would be connectivity
problems with my old wrt-54 -- too big of a continuous load and it
sometimes required a power cycle.

Thanks to all for your input and hope my feedback helps someone else.

Best,

Jeff

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> > I am still researching routers, I value Matthew's recommendation on the
> > e4200.  I went with a 3 antenna centrino ultimate on the laptop.
>
> The latest AVS newsletter had an article on the best wifi routers,
> and the e4200 topped their list, too.  Read the article here:
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/a/5-best-wireless-routers-for-your-money
>
> --
> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com
>    The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>      Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>        promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

Best,

Jeff Hinrichs
402.218.1473