[olug] another laptop recommendation

Tim Larson larson at towncommons.com
Sat Sep 22 04:05:50 UTC 2012

Seeking recommendations also, but a different set of requirements than
Jeff.

I'm looking for something my wife and kids to use (primarily) for
homeschooling.  It does need to handle the kids playing a few kid edu
apps and games (not the latest FPS) and my wife's dozens of open browser
tabs and WP documents, but that said, it's a second computer which will
probably seldom leave the house (i.e. most heavy lifting and doc storage
will be on the desktop—a Mac).  Basic interoperability with the desktop
will be a factor (works with File Sharing from the Mac, for instance).
Don't think I'd need legacy ports, don't think I'd even need an optical
drive.  We've considered tablets, but we're pretty sure they don't fit
our needs.  It's got to be easy, because I can't hover 24/7.  I would
like to target the sub-$500 range, so don't suggest Mac.

To sum up, I'm thinking something like a large-screen netbook with an i3
would fit the bill, but that's just my impression.  (I've been told the
netbook concept is being replaced by tablets, but I don't think they're
quite the same niche.)  And I just don't know the current market well
enough to know what to look at and what to avoid.

Thanks,
Tim