[olug] Fax Server

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri Sep 7 15:25:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM,  <jman at miwire.com> wrote:
>    I am looking for a fax server for a small office, any recommendations?

How much faxing are you going to be doing?  Inbound and Outbound?  Is
the primary purpose for transferring documents developed in-house?  Or
are signed documents key?

Depending on your specific needs, I'd start by looking at some of the
online fax services.  Options like MyFax and eFax can often handle all
or most of a small offices needs, usually easier and cheaper than a
fax server.  Add in a desktop scanner and you've got everything most
offices need these days.

If you're looking for a traditional fax server, I've heard pretty good
things about HylaFAX on Linux, though I haven't used it.  It can
apparently be a little bit quirky to configure, but is very flexible
and stable.  At a previous company I worked, we used the Microsoft Fax
Service included with Server editions of MS Windows.  It wasn't
particularly great, but it got the job done, and would be an easy
solution if you have an existing Windows Print Server.

--
Christopher