[olug] Booting from SAS drive in a desktop?

Hurley, Rod RHurley at TENASKA.com
Wed Oct 31 15:36:59 UTC 2012

Just want to make sure I am reading you right:  you want to boot your desktop, from the server's SAS drives (as in VDI)?

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of Obi-Wan
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:08 AM
To: olug at olug.org
Subject: [olug] Booting from SAS drive in a desktop?

I'm about to buy a Dell 2950 server that comes with a six 73GB, 15Krpm SAS drives.  Those drives will get replaced with some 2TB SATA drives.  I was also about to buy a new SSD for the boot drive in my desktop box, but I hate to spend the money when these SAS drives are just lying around.  73GB is plety big.

I know I can't plug a SAS drive into a SATA controller, but is it possible to get a controller card that will let me boot linux from a mirrored pair of SAS drives?  I'm using a 4.5-yr-old mobo.  If so, will that controller be cheaper than a new SSD?  Maybe I'm better off selling the SAS drives to recoup my SSD cost.  Any buyers?

The current boot drive in my desktop is a Seagate 120GB IDE drive that currently shows 7.5 years of powered-on time.  SMART says it's in fine shape, but I imagine the clock is ticking...

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com
       promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins _______________________________________________