[olug] Fwd: [Announcements] CrossOver for free on Wednesday,

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Oct 29 21:14:00 UTC 2012

> The Gimp has 95% of the features and tools of Photoshop. If you're used to
> Photoshop, there is a learning curve with The Gimp. The big deal-breaker
> for some is a lack of CMYK support, but I wouldn't say The Gimp is
> laughable in comparisons to Photoshop for most users.

Nobody outside the press printing industry uses CMYK any more, so that's
less of a problem than it used to be.

I'm more familiar with GIMP, but I'm well aware of both the feature set
and the 3rd party plugin support that PS enjoys.  Even as a GIMP user for
over 15 years, I find the GUI unintuitive.  Not so with PS.

Groundbreaking features like context-aware fill are things that GIMP
is unlikely to get in the forseeable future.  GIMP's lack of a usable
method for image stacking, alignment, and mask creation is also painful.
PS' multi-image batch processing is pretty slick, while GIMP's requires
writing what appears to be Lisp code.  Hello?  And don't even get me
started on PS' integration with other software & third party plugins.

Yeah, I think "laughable" is an accurate term.  GIMP gets me by as
a part time photographer, but it's way too restrictive for a full-timer
who has deadlines to meet.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com