[olug] [OT] Any recommendations for a good hobbyist soldering station?

Dan Anderson dan-anderson at cox.net
Thu Oct 4 21:27:22 UTC 2012

I'm not against anyone getting a new gizmo - but, IMO, until you're doing
significantly more than playing with "Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and even a
FEZ Panda", the 25W Radio Shack one is probably good enough.

I'd humbly suggest that if you're a beginner at soldering and are having
problems with this, the chances are that you're not properly cleaning and
tinning your tip.

So, I guess my point is - get one if you want (it might look really nice on
your workbench), but please don't consider having a $100 soldering iron to
be required for the hobby.

Dan

P.S.  That $100 on from SparkFun that Jay mentions is rumored to be quite
nice.