[olug] TINC

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Nov 14 00:04:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Sam Flint <harmonicnm7h at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with tinc vpn?

It was not looked on particularly favorably in a comparison some years
ago by well known cryptographer Peter Gutmann:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/linux_vpn.txt

Admittedly, that review was from 2003.  However, one of the things
that post discusses in length, and does a great job of illustrating,
is that security software like VPNs are difficult to get right, and
very easy to get wrong.

OpenVPN seems to have emerged as the closest thing to a de facto
standard for non-IPsec.  Personally, I would stick with either IPsec
or OpenVPN for any VPN needs unless I had a *really* good reason to
use something else.

Personal experience with IPsec and OpenVPN would leave me leaning
towards OpenVPN for everything that didn't require compatibility with
non-OpenVPN connections (appliances, routers/firewalls, other
third-party situations), in which case I'd use IPsec.

--
Christopher