[olug] abcde ripper presentation prep

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon May 14 19:25:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:
> On May 14, 2012, at 7:36 AM, Kevin wrote:
>> When ripping to mp3, I'd like to be able to edit ID3 tag info.
>>
>> Well, I'd like to be able to just display it, but if I can edit it, then I
>> should be able to parse it using my usual utilities(sed, awk, grep, perl,
>> etc)
>
> WOOT! Perl!!   :)

Not to hijack the thread, but if you do need to do any ID3 tag
manipulation after the fact, Perl and the MP3::Tag module from CPAN
kick butt.  I had a bunch of MP3's with non-ASCII names that didn't
always match and were causing me some headaches a little while back.
A little bit of time and some help from MP3::Tag had them all
normalized and cleaned up without near the pain that manual fixing
would have involved.

Christopher