[olug] OT: Sun Firmware Files

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 03:55:08 UTC 2012

I just got my hands on a nice Sun Fire x64 server but I'm in a bit of a bind.  I need BIOS and ILOM files for a Sun Fire x4100 M1 but can't find them anywhere.

This server hasn't been updated, ever.  The BIOS and ILOM are version 1.0 and I'd really like to get them patched up to fix problems I'm having with Sun's terrible Java-based ILOM system.  However, in typical Oracle fashion, Ellison's boys have taken the once-free Sun downloads and locked them down behind their Oracle support contract system.

My searches have turned up nothing on the usual suspects (torrent trackers, file share sites, etc.) and I'm doubtful that my polite email to Oracle Support will get me anywhere.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have these kinds of files archived, or know of a mirror that hosts them?

Thanks,
Dan