[olug] Intense PC - the most powerful miniature fanless PC EVER!

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Mar 8 18:29:03 UTC 2012

Hey,
We need lights out, pre-OS level remote management on our servers for
quick, large scale deploys and remote maintenance.  If you're going to
start throwing in serial stuff and KVMs than the price benefit gets
eaten up pretty quick.  We also use our number cruncher nodes for
storage as well, so form factor matters to us.

As for porting...it's an unmitigated nightmare to move our CMS software
base to the latest RHEL release, let alone another hardware platform.
Right now we're having to run CMS jobs in a RHEL 5 chroot jail on our
RHEL 6 machines as the code base has not been certified for RHEL6.

I know it was put forth as a funny, but there are reasons FNAL/UNL/CMS
could not move to something like this.  (Perhaps the detector trigger on
CMS could use something like this, but it takes years to design
triggering for large experiments and we can't change out the trigger
mid-stream and hope to be taken seriously.)
Carl