[olug] Squid + Apache + SSL on same VPS

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Jun 7 14:52:53 UTC 2012

> I'm playing around with Apache 2.4 on a VPS right now trying to make the
> ideal Apache web server config for a Wordpress site.
>
> I know some people use Squid in a reverse-proxy role to accelerate web
> traffic by serving up cached pages. I'd need to set them up on the same
> server since this is a single server VPS solution. So I'm assuming I'd have
> Apache listen to another port, have Squid intercept port 80 traffic and
> direct it to Apache. But what about traffic on 443 for https? Is there a
> guide somewhere that covers how to set that up properly?

You can't cache passed-through SSL traffic.  In your situation, I
usually setup the apache server to be unencrypted, but then run Pound
(http://www.apsis.ch/pound) to receive the SSL traffic, decode it,
and then pass it  to the apache server.  Of course, I usually run
these on different servers, allowing multiple back-end servers to
hide behind a single Pound front end.

> And on a VPS solution where memory is limited, is Squid's performance gain
> worth the memory Squid would take up? Is it significantly better that other
> Wordpress caching solutions like this?
>
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/w3-total-cache/

I wouldn't think you'd see much gain by running squid on the same
machine as apache.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com