[olug] Squid + Apache + SSL on same VPS

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:33:48 UTC 2012

I'm playing around with Apache 2.4 on a VPS right now trying to make the
ideal Apache web server config for a Wordpress site.

I know some people use Squid in a reverse-proxy role to accelerate web
traffic by serving up cached pages. I'd need to set them up on the same
server since this is a single server VPS solution. So I'm assuming I'd have
Apache listen to another port, have Squid intercept port 80 traffic and
direct it to Apache. But what about traffic on 443 for https? Is there a
guide somewhere that covers how to set that up properly?

And on a VPS solution where memory is limited, is Squid's performance gain
worth the memory Squid would take up? Is it significantly better that other
Wordpress caching solutions like this?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/w3-total-cache/

-- T. J. Brumfield
"I'm questioning my education