[olug] Help w/ my server

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Jul 23 23:27:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Sam Flint <harmonicnm7h at gmail.com> wrote:
> so would you say getting business internet would be the best?

Based on my own personal experience, I would get a Virtual Private
Server (VPS) from Linode.com[*] (or other provider).

I had a "business" cable modem connection (with CenturyLink, back when
they were Qwest (and back when they were US West)).  I ran that way
for around 10 years.  For the most part, it worked well.  No major
complaints, although I did just remember that they cap the upload a
lot lower on business connections (to prevent abuse).  At one point it
was 128Kb/sec, although I think they upped it a little bit
(256Kb/sec?).  You'd have to talk to them to confirm whether they
still cap the upload, and at what rate.

Back in around 2008, I read a glowing review for Linode, and decided
to play around with it a little bit.  I figured that for $20/month
with no contract, it was worth taking a look at.  After about a month,
I started migrating services from my home server to the Linode VPS,  A
few weeks later, I switched my business cable modem over to a standard
setup (saving me $20/month in cable modem costs).

After 4 years now, I have no intention of switching back.  The
Internet connectivity from my VPS is significantly better than you'll
get with a Cable modem, and the reliability has been excellent.  You
also get the advantage of data center reliability, and UPS power.

> Sam

[*]  I'm a huge fan of Linode, as is probably obvious.  I researched
the alternatives before I went with them, and didn't find anyone who
seemed better.  Since I setup with them, my experiences with Linode
have only cemented them in my mind as the right choice.  In the time
I've been with them, they've increased the RAM and disk space
allocated to my VM multiple times, and the price has never gone up.
They were one of the first to support IPv6, and still have better IPv6
support than nearly all of their competitors.  Good DNS support
(primary or secondary service, no charge) for managing your own domain
names, too.  It really feels like a company run by geeks and engineers
for other geeks and engineers.

--
Christopher