[olug] Help w/ my server

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Jul 23 21:47:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Sam Flint <harmonicnm7h at gmail.com> wrote:
> so, i have a new server that i'd like to run from home, short of
> getting business internet(which is an option), what do you think i
> could do to get it working as a web/ssh/smtp/pop/imap server?

Basic Internet services such as you've listed are all fairly
lightweight, low resource functions.  My recommendation would be to
get a linode.com account, their basic one at $20/month will work, and
host those functions on the Linode VPS.  You can setup a constant VPN
(OpenVPN would be my suggestion, IPSec will work, too) between your
home server and your Internet server.

That will give you full Internet accessibility on your public-facing
host, and still probably cost less than a business account or other
option to get the ports opened up at home.

--
Christopher