[olug] Ksplice

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Sun Jul 22 05:49:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Trent Melcher <trentm at q.com> wrote:
> I find it kind of odd that Oracle bought this rather than looking into
> clustering their OS.  If you truly need a highly available application
> your going to put it in a cluster.  With that ksplice is pointless, take
> a node out of the cluster patch and reboot it, reintroduce it to the
> cluster.  No downtime for the application needed.

Oracle does clustering, too.  They call it Oracle Clusterware.  It was
originally developed and introduced for their Real Application Cluster
(RAC) database, but was later generalized to support non-DB
applications, too.  They also created one of the shared-storage
cluster filesystems in the Linux kernel (OCFS2).  Oracle Clusterware
is included with their Unbreakable Linux, or with Oracle.

Ksplice and clustering really serve different purposes, and I wouldn't
consider them direct competing technologies.  There is some overlap to
the problems that they solve, but neither one necessarily replaces the
other.

--
Christopher