[olug] Ksplice

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 18:05:01 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> From: Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com>
> A friend just reminded me that his new Nexus 7 has 100,000 times the
> processing power of his old VIC-20 (which, admittedly, is older than
> 20 years)... and the VIC-20 cost 50% more than the Nexus, even without
> allowing for inflation.  One second of processing on the Nexus would
> take 1.2 days on the VIC-20.

VIC-20 had a 1MHz 6502, right?  I know at that time I was in college learning 6502, Z80 and IBM370 assembler, FORTRAN, COBOL and Pascal... Took a combined Physics/CompSci class where we hacked VIC-20s to make them "networkable", played with different topologies (similar to token ring and ethernet), used a TRS80 as a "file server"... And a Motorola 68000 chip on a bread board became our "router".  Ah yes, those were the days... :P

Kevin D. Snodgrass