[olug] Ksplice

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 12:13:10 UTC 2012

Yep, Oracle bought them and now they're part of Oracle's Linux, which last
I heard was called Unbreakable Linux(no, it's not April Fools' Day). But
even ksplice and never rebooting won't protect you from eventual hardware
failures or obsolescence. The former WILL happen, its just a matter of
WHEN, and the latter........well, do you want to be running on 20-year old
hardware? And in a business environment no less? Already my ~10 year old
computers are starting to feel slow(I don't like to spend money on
hardware). Alternatively, think about what computers you were running 20
years ago. I'm young enough that those memories are kind of fuzzy, but
think about the kind of hardware that was available then.

I think that you're going to want to make it a cluster, not a machine that
never reboots.