[olug] Fedora 17

Jay Woods woodsjay at cox.net
Mon Jul 16 13:15:36 UTC 2012

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 10:55:47 PM Sam Flint wrote:
> Any odd experiences with updating to 17? i finally got around to it...
>
> Sam

I have several problems with the KDE version of F17:

First Try On My Experimental System - It was an upgrade from F16. The upgrade
went OK but the system still thinks it is F16. I haven't found out how that
will bite me yet.
Second Try On My Main-Backup System - It was a clean install on a DELL
Dimension E521 - an early dual core system. The 64 bit version live boots but
doesn't display. I have tried a several graphics cards and monitors but no
luck. The 32 bit version installs OK and upgrades to the usual list of
packages on my Main System as well as a full user data load (about 250 GB).
The remaining problems using that 32 bit install are:
Moving a window is an exercise in frustration as it lags well behind moving
the cursor. I put up with it.
Several times (overnight) the cursor disappears. It is still there as
scrolling over icons causes them to blink but no cursor icon shows. A reboot
is the only way out so far.
The screens lock. This happens most often when I am using the Kickoff
Application Launcher (Start). There is no response to a three fingered salute.
The cursor moves. A power cycle is the only way out so far. Open programs
behave well to this power cycle.
The sshd program is missing from the system services. The openssh-server
package is loaded. The sshd program is in the /usr/sbin directory. I don't
know enough about systemd to see if it is set up properly. Reading up on
systemd is next on my list. PS. Using the -h argument for help was dangerous.
It generates an error and so works but means something else.
I use kmail and Feed Reader often. The easy path for the system leads through
using the two programs separately with a hint (which is not true) that kontact
is no longer there. The kmail program would queue the emails but not send them
to Cox. When I hunted down kontact and brought it up, the queued emails were
sent.
PS - My Main System running F15 is being preserved while all this is going on.
Cleaning the dust bunnies off the really giant CPU heat sink probably has
solved the overheating problem that triggered this upgrade off.