[olug] Setting up a MythTV backend system - what's the current recommended way to start?

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Jan 15 16:36:59 UTC 2012

I've got an Ubuntu 11.10 system that I recently resurrected and
upgraded.  I installed the MythTV package ("apt-get install mythtv"),
and a quick scan seems to have confirmed it has found my HDHomeRun
box, but when I try to view the Live TV screen, the front end crashes
after a few seconds with "exit code 139".

Not above thinking my install is hosed (IIRC, I did an upgrade vs
fresh install), what distribution are people using, and what method do
you suggest installing MythTV?

I'm not opposed to building MythTV from source, but I'd like to
document this process for friends and family who are also looking at
cutting the cord, but don't have the patience and experience to build
everything from scratch.

Thanks,
Dan

--