[olug] Boot error updating F14 to F16

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jan 13 16:59:02 UTC 2012

Last night, I attempted to upgrade my old Dell M1201 laptop from
Fedora 14 to Fedora 16.  Everything went fine at first, and I went
to bed while it was downloading & installing packages.  When I
awoke this morning, I found this window on the screen:

"Warning:  There was an error installing the bootloader.  The
system may not be bootable."  [OK]

No, not OK.  Since I had no option, I clicked OK, and the laptop
rebooted while I went to eat breakfast.  When I returned a while
later, the GUI was gone, and I found the following on the console:

"Error 15: File not found.  Press any key to continue..."

Pressing a key rebooted.  At the grub kernel chooser screen, the only
option is "Upgrade to Fedora 16 (Verne)".  Choosing that immediately
takes me back to the "Error 15" screen.  Repeat ad nosium.

Where do I go from here?  Rex?  While I do have the important bits
backed up, installing from scratch would be annoying.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com